Home from Hospital is run by Age UK Barnet and The British Red Cross. Staff and volunteers provide short-term, practical support in the home for people who are being discharged from hospital after accident or illness.
Clients of the service can expect up to 4 home visits over a 4 week period. We will work with you to help meet your individual needs and preferences. The service is free of charge to Barnet residents over the age of 65.
This service can help with
- Collecting or assisting with essential shopping
- Collecting prescriptions or GP letters
- Managing accumulated post, simple letter writing and help with forms
- Help to access information and advice including benefits, entitlements, health, housing as well as statutory and community services
- Befriending in person or over the phone
- Accompanying you on walks to regain confidence
- Carrying out light household tasks eg tidying and washing up
- Prompting you to follow exercise plans
- Organising escorts between home and hospital
- Simple home checks and hazard reporting
All volunteers are trained to deliver this specialist service. Each volunteer undergoes an interview, reference checks and an enhance Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Volunteers are fully trained in first aid, health and safety and adult safeguarding.
Our volunteers will always phone ahead to let you know their name and the time they will be visiting you. They will also always show you their identification badge when they arrive.
Find out more
To find out more about this service email Age UK Barnet