Our Walk From Home service aims to improve the health and well being of older people who have lost confidence due to falls, declining mobility or isolation.
The project helps older people to regain confidence by walking with them near their homes and in the local area.
Walk From Home is a community based service funded by the Adult Services Department at Bradford Metropolitan District Council to meet the needs of people across the Bradford district.
The services provides isolated, older people with their own volunteer who will accompany them on short walks, tailored to suit their individual needs.
The service increases physical activity levels and opportunities for social contact, with the aim of improving general health and wellbeing, and regaining lost confidence.
Clients are assessed on referral by the Co-ordinator to see if our service is suitable for them. During this assessment they will be encouraged to set themselves a long term goal, this could be to walk to the local shop or be able to walk to a friend's house.
The local area will also be looked at for suitable walks and routes. The client will then be matched with a volunteer who will encourage and walk with them on a weekly basis to help them reach their goal.
Walk From Home welcomes referrals of service users who;
- Would like to improve their mobility and regain their confidence.
- Are able to walk short distances with minimal physical support from another person.
- Have the capacity to improve and regain their independence.
- Can be safely accompanied by Walk From Home volunteers who do not have specialist mobility training, but who draw on common sense and life experience.
- Require temporary assistance (up to a maximum of 6 months). The service is a short term intervention not a long term solution.
- Live in the Bradford District.
Referrals are welcomed from agencies involved in the care of older people including health professionals, social services, physiotherapy departments and voluntary agencies. Self-referrals are also accepted.
Volunteering with Walk From Home
Volunteers are constantly being recruited to help deliver the Walk From Home project. As a community based project, the input of volunteers is essential to the projects success.
Find out more about volunteering with us
For further information about the Walk From Home project and how we may be able to help or to enquire about becoming a volunteer, please contact the project using the details below.
Laura Hogarth - Walk From Home Co-ordinator
Tel: 01274 395144