Age UK Camden has a busy Information and Advice team for people over 55 who live in the Borough of Camden, and their friends, neighbours and carers.
We run a holistic advice service, providing information and advice on a wide range of issues; this means that when you come to see us we will ask you questions about how you are living, what help you need, and will look at all the help you need and not just focus on one issue.
We have a range of dedicated and experienced advice workers and volunteers, who can help with a range of things, including:
- Money advice
- Benefit checks
- Benefit claims
- Debt advice, intervention and negotiation with creditors
- Housing issues such as housing disrepair and housing move applications.
- Access to social care and health services, including assisting clients when things are not going well with these services.
- Accessing social activities, community groups and organisations in the area.
- Applying for accessible local transport schemes including freedom passes and taxi cards.
- A small grants fund for essential items such as bedding, furniture and white goods.
- Food vouchers for those people in crisis or emergency need due to benefit suspension or similar issues.
Our Plan Ahead service helps older people to plan for later life. This includes:
- the importance of making a will
- Lasting Power of Attorney
- Gifts during lifetime
- long term care costs
- how to update your will
We can give advice in Bengali and Sylheti as well as English, with advisers who speak these languages.
How to access advice and information
Our information line, 020 7837 3777, is available from 10am-4pm Monday to Friday and is answered by Age UK Camden. Outside of these times, the National Age UK Helpline will answer calls, provide information and arrange call backs with Age UK Camden as necessary.
You can also contact us on email at email@example.com
We offer 45 minute appointments where you can see one of our trained advisors. These appointments can be booked by calling the Information Line or dropping in to arrange an appointment.
Self help - client access to telephone
We have a room available at Tavis House on Mondays from 10.30am-12.30pm and Wednesdays from 2-4pm where you are able to access the telephone. The Information Team are on hand Monday to Friday 10am-4pm to help you contact people like the Pension Service, gas and electricity companies and banks to sort out queries and problems.
We can also offer home visits, but due to the amount of people who use our services we can only provide these to people who are housebound and unable to leave their homes. Please call 020 7837 3777 to arrange a home visit.
If you need information or advice, but find it difficult to travel to our main Information Desk in Tavistock Square, we also run free outreach information sessions at the following locations all around the borough, every month. Please note that appointments are needed, so please call the Information Line beforehand on 020 7837 3777 to book your spot.
- Third Tuesday of every month, 2.30 – 4.30pm at the Bengali Workers Association Health Project (Surma Centre), 1 Robert Street, London, NW1 3JU
- Second Monday of the month, 10am – 1pm at Great Croft Resource Centre, Cromer Street, London, WC1H 8LF
- Last Thursday of the month, 2.30 – 4.30pm (women only) at West Hampstead Women Centre,26-30 Cotleigh Rd, London, NW6 2NP
- Last Wednesday of the month, from 3 – 5pm at Kentish Town Community Centre,17 Busby Place, London, NW5 2SP
Our online directory features information on local services on care, health, housing, money, leisure etc. It also links to written materials from key organisations like Age UK and Camden Council, so you can download factsheets and leaflets at the touch of a button. You can access the directory by clicking on the link below.
Please note we can provide one-off information and signposting to anyone 55+ and their carers, regardless of where you live.