Age UK Croydon is an independent charity, whose vision is to promote independence and choice for all borough residents, but especially those in later life by supporting them, ensuring their voices are heard, their beliefs upheld, their views respected and their needs met.
We receive over 10,000 enquiries each year from older people, their friends, family and/or carers as well as from Social Services, Health Professionals and various charitable organisations. Volunteers who give advice to our clients are at the heart of our service and we simply could not manage without them.
Volunteer advisers receive an extensive training in the skills needed to help people deal with their problems and constant support from the rest of the team. We are looking for outstanding volunteers passionate about helping people and willing to keep constantly up to date with social sector issues.
- To provide advocacy to all adults in Croydon with care and support needs, irrespective of their condition, age or disability
- Supporting clients to understand and assisting them to apply for Power of Attorney
- Understanding complex information and relaying it to clients in a format that they can understand
- Assisting with the preparation of forms electronically
- Being sensitive to clients needs
- Working with people who may have recently been diagnosed with serious health conditions and treating them with respect and dignity
- Making sure that clients are able to make fully informed decisions
- Ensuring that clients remain at the centre of all decision making and that they are not being coerced
- Arranging to see clients in their home environment
- Being alert to clients needs and surroundings which may indicate further help and support is needed; and understanding who to report to.
- Identifying and researching information relevant to people’s needs, drawing on resources available and keeping up to date with relevant laws and policies locally and nationally·
- Identifying clients who may require other support and referring on to appropriate service providers internally & externally with consent.
- Maintaining statistical and case records using manual and electronic systems
- An ability to understand complex information
- Non judgemental approach
- Politeness and excellent listening skills
- Intermediate I.T. skills (including internet browsing, Microsoft Word for Windows, Excel and Outlook
- Good level of literacy and numeracy
- Customer oriented attitude
- Willingness to work according to guidelines and standards of practice
- Willingness to attend initial training, followed by on-going training and supervision as required
- Experience of Health and Social Care would be desirable but full training is provided)
Age UK Croydon offers an extensive training program and will reimburse travel and out of pocket expenses. This role provides a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience and have a better understanding of working within the social care sector. Volunteering hours are negotiable Monday to Friday. All appointments will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check and a three months trial period.
If you are interested in this vacancy, please complete the application form using this role description and person specification.
Please send your completed application marked Private and Confidential to:
Volunteer and Student Placements
Age UK Croydon
2 Katharine Street
Croydon CR0 1NX
If you would like more information, please contact: 020 3701 3264