Paying care home fees and means testing

happy woman outside

Most people will be expected to pay something towards the costs of their accommodation and personal care from their income and capital. If the local authority is involved in arranging your placement, the amount you will have to pay will be worked out via a means test, which is based on nationally set guidelines.

Our factsheet 'Paying for a permanent care home placement in Wales' provides information on the financial help that may be available from the local authority for people needing care in a care home (residential or nursing home).

In certain circumstances, the NHS should meet the cost of someone's care home fees. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare (NHS CHC).
Eligibility may arise where the 'nature, 'intensity', 'complexity', or 'unpredictability' of someone's health needs mean that they have to be actively managed by the NHS. Eligibility decisions for NHS CHC rest on whether your need for care is primarily due to your health needs (as opposed to a need for care due primarily to social care needs that fall within the remit of local authority social services departments, rather than the health service).
Our factsheet, 'NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care in Wales', has further information:
Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: