Paying for a care home if you have a partner

older couple sitting on sofa

A care home resident's eligibility for local authority assistance with care home fees can be affected if they have a partner.

Our factsheet, 'Paying for care in a care home in Wales if you have a partner', has a range of information, including:


  • What may happen if just one of a couple goes into a care home, or if both do.
  • Information on the partial disregard of private and occupational pensions when the care home resident is being means tested by the local authority (often one of a couple has a significantly larger income than the other, so this rule reduces the likelihood of the other person experiencing financial hardship if the main income holder goes into a care home. Where one of a couple who are married or have a civil partnership enters a care home, 50% of that person’s occupational (works) pension or personal pension can be passed back to the person remaining at home).
  • What may happen if the partner who doesn’t go into a care home wants to move from the property they jointly own with the care home resident. 

opens link in new window FS39w: Paying for care in a care home in Wales if you have a partner (PDF 279KB)



Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Care Forum Wales

  • Care Forum Wales works to help its members provide high-quality services and dignity in care for older people and others in need of social care.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: