Help with care in your own home

Older man with dog 

Most of us want to live independently in our own homes for as long as possible. As we get older, we may need support and assistance to enable us to do so. If you are having difficulty coping with your daily activities at home, you can get in touch with your local authority social services department, or your family doctor (GP), to see if they can give you some advice or support. You can refer yourself for a local authority assessment of your care needs or, if you prefer, another person – such as your carer or GP – can do this on your behalf.

There are a wide range of support services that can be provided to help you stay in your own home and also to assist your carer, if you have one. Services could include:


  • Domiciliary care – i.e. home carers and personal assistants
  • meals delivered at home
  • attendance at a day-centre
  • respite care
  • live-in care services
  • rehabilitation services
  • sheltered accommodation, supported living or other housing options
  • community support
  • counselling
  • the provision of disability equipment and/or adaptations to your home; and
  • community alarms and/or other assistive technology. 

Our factsheets and information guides, listed below, provide further information on help with care in your own home. 

Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: