Help us to be there for older people in Wales
Sign-up for our monthly e-newsletter called The loop / Y ddolen
Our new vision
Make sure your gas appliances at home are safe and take steps to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning and fire.
Carbon monoxide is known as a ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see, taste or smell it. Heaters that burn gas, coal or wood can give off poisonous carbon monoxide fumes if they’re not working properly.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to a cold or flu and can include:
A carbon monoxide detector will flash and sound an audible alarm if it detects carbon monoxide. You should install one in every room where there is a gas appliance.
When you buy a carbon monoxide detector, make sure it bears the Kitemark and European Standard number BS EN 50291.
If you think carbon monoxide is present, call the gas emergency number 0800 111 999. If you have solid fuel heating, call a solid fuel engineer. Contact the Solid Fuel Association for a list of members.
Help support our work with older people
The best way to keep in touch with everything we're doing here is to sign up for our email newsletter
Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.
Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily
To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: