Author: Age Cymru
Published on 27 January 2012 11:00 AM
Hollywood superstar Rhys Ifans, comedian Rhod Gilbert and X-Factor finalist Rhydian Roberts are among the stars who have given their coats to an Age Cymru fundraising appeal.
Singer and songwriter Cerys Matthews, Wales rugby coach Warren Gatland and TV weatherman Derek Brockway have also donated coats to our Spread the Warmth campaign.
Age Cymru’s Director of Income Resources Richard Nicholls says:
“Spread the Warmth is a campaign to prevent older people suffering during the winter.
“We’ve asked Welsh celebrities to donate their coats to raise funds to support this campaign and we’ve been overwhelmed by their generosity.
“Rhod Gilbert has donated two Saville Row jackets that he wore on his ‘Ask Rhod Gilbert’ TV show, a hand-made suit he wore at the Royal Variety performance in 2008, a Timberland coat, a pair of jeans – it’s almost as if he’s emptied his wardrobe to give us the shirt off his back.
“Rhod’s also give us signed photographs to go with the coats, and Rhys Ifans, soon to be starring in the new Spider-Man film – gave us his Driza-bone coat and a signed photograph to auction.”
The items being auctioned by Age Cymru are:
• Rhys Ifans’s Driza-Bone full length jacket with a signed photograph and letter of authenticity;
• Rhod Gilbert’s Timberland jacket; black velvet Saville Row jacket and signed photo; purple Simon Carter jacket and signed photo; hand-made navy blue corduroy suit and signed photo; Uniqlo jeans;
• Cerys Matthews’s purple velvet jacket and signed photograph;
• Rhydian Roberts’s silver jacket from the X-Factor with a signed photograph;
• Derek Brockway’s brown jacket and a signed photograph;
• Warren Gatland’s Under Armour WRU jacket and certificate of authenticity;
• Mark Taylor’s signed Under Armour WRU jacket;
• Stifyn Parri’s navy blue corduroy jacket and letter of authenticity;
Richard Nicholls says:
“The response to our appeal has been fantastic and we’re very grateful to all the stars who have supported Spread the Warmth by donating their coats.
“We’re asking the people of Wales now to also show their support for Spread the Warmth by bidding on their favourite celebrity’s coat or jacket and helping to make a difference to older people in Wales.”
The items are now for sale on a seven-day eBay auction.