Selling homes to pay for care

Source : Age Cymru
Published on 25 October 2011 12:00 PM

Responding reports in the media today that people are being forced to sell their homes to pay for care that they should be receiving for free, Graeme Francis, Age Cymru’s Head of Policy and Public Affairs says:

“It is simply wrong that numbers of older people in Wales are selling their homes to pay for care which should be provided free under the NHS.

"People should not be forced to go through the courts to recover fees they have been forced to pay unnecessarily because assessments have not been conducted correctly.

“The current backlog of cases and the fact that the assessment framework used in Wales is less effective than the English one is very concerning.

“Overall the current care system we have in Wales is far too complicated and is creating an added level of stress and worry for people who are dealing with moving themselves or a loved one into care - which can be an emotionally exhausting experience in itself.

“The last thing anyone needs at a time like that is the added strain of dealing with the complexities of the current system of paying for care.

“We need a transparent, easily understood system that will clear away any misunderstanding and confusion that is causing so many people so much heartache across Wales.”

If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact Iwan Rhys Roberts on 029 2043 1562, 07739 894 923,

Your Age Cymru

Set your location to see what Age Cymru offers in your local area.

Age Cymru Advice:
08000 223 444
Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: