Welsh Government adult abuse proposals

Source : Age Cymru
Published on 23 October 2012 11:00 AM

Commenting on the announcement that Deputy Minister Gwenda Thomas has proposed that new powers to investigate abuse be included in the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Bill, Graeme Francis, Age Cymru’s Head of Policy and Public Affairs says:

“An estimated 39,000 older people in Wales suffer from some sort of abuse and Age Cymru welcomes the Welsh Government’s announcement that they intend to legislate to introduce stronger powers to tackle abuse.

“Current adult protection arrangements need to be strengthened and our Rule Out Abuse campaign is calling for a legal duty on organisations to investigate all allegations of abuse that they hear about or are reported to them – in the same way that the law operates to protect children in similar circumstances.

“We handed over 5,000 signatures to our campaign over to the Welsh Government in June and we are pleased that the Welsh Government has listened.

“The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Bill is an opportunity to make a difference to the lives of older people in Wales and the inclusion of these proposals would clearly reinforce the powers that the authorities have to tackle abuse.”

If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact Iwan Rhys Roberts on 029 2043 1562, 07739 894 923, iwan.roberts@agecymru.org.uk

Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/agecymru
Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/agecymru

Your Age Cymru

Set your location to see what Age Cymru offers in your local area.

Age Cymru Advice:
08000 223 444
Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: