Published on 22 September 2017 11:30 AM
Staff from Wales & West Housing Association (WWH) will start a four day bike ride through the heart of Wales this Saturday (23 September) to help raise money for the older people’s charity Age Cymru.
Setting out from Ewloe in Deeside, the cyclists will, over the course of the four days, visit Machynlleth, Aberystwyth, Newcastle Emlyn, Swansea, and Bridgend before reaching their final destination at the Association’s headquarters in Cardiff on Tuesday evening.
Throughout the Ride the Nation challenge, the cyclists will visit a number of the Association’s schemes that are specifically designed to help improve the quality of life for older people.
The route is more than 350km long and includes some 4,500m of ascent - more than enough to climb Everest! Nevertheless fourteen cyclists are aiming to complete the whole route while a further seven will tackle specific legs.
The challenge is supported by two of the Association’s contractors; Solar Windows and Anwyl Construction to help with accommodation and refreshments.
WWH spokesperson James O’Connor said: “We all know that Wales has an ageing population but all too often older people are left at the margins of our society. We’re hoping that this challenge will not only raise vital funds to support the work of Age Cymru but it will also showcase some of the innovative work we have undertaken to improve the quality of life for many of our older residents.”
Age Cymru’s chief executive Ian Thomas said: “We’re so grateful to the WWH staff for taking on this fundraising challenge. We’re fast approaching our busiest months as we help thousands of older people prepare for the long dark winter months. So any support we receive, be it financial or otherwise, is very much appreciated at this time of year.”
If you want to help with the fundraising or find out more about the challenge please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 052 2526.
- Photographs and ride start – 11:00-11:40am on Saturday 23 September at Tŷ Draig, St. David’s Park, Ewloe, Deeside, CH5 3DT
- Scheme event (Aberystwyth) – 11:30am-12:10pm on Sunday 24 September at retirement scheme in Aberystwyth
- Newcastle Emlyn office (low key) arrival event – 6:45-7:15pm on Sunday 24 September at Cwrt Y Llan, Church Lane, Newcastle Emlyn, SA38 9AB
- Newcastle Emlyn office photographs and day 3 start – 8:40-9:00am on Monday 25 September at Cwrt Y Llan, Church Lane, Newcastle Emlyn, SA38 9AB
- Scheme event – 12:00-12:30pm on Tuesday 26 September at Cwrt Anghorfa in Pyle, Bridgend.
- Ride finish and celebratory event – 4:15-5:30pm on Tuesday 26 September at Archway House, 77 Parc Tŷ Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DU