Council Tax reductions

two men walking outside


The Council Tax Reduction Scheme

You may be eligible for assistance from your local authority’s Council Tax Reduction Scheme if you're on a low income or claim certain benefits. Apply directly to your local authority to see if you're entitled to support.

The amount of assistance you get may depend on factors such as which benefits you receive, your age, your income, savings, who you live with and how much Council Tax you pay. If you receive a disability or carer's benefit, you may get more help from the Council Tax Reduction Scheme

You may get your Council Tax paid in full if you get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

You can apply whether you own your home, or are renting.

opens link in new window  FS21w: Council Tax in Wales - information about the tax and help you might get towards your bill (PDF 393KB)

opens link in new window  L53w: More money in your pocket: A guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age (PDF 569KB)


Other ways that your Council Tax bill may be reduced

There may also be other ways that your Council Tax bill could be reduced. For example, you could check if you qualify for the disability reduction scheme – a property may be placed in a lower Council Tax band if it has certain features that are important for a disabled person living there, such as extra space for a wheelchair.

Or, you may qualify for certain discounts: a 25% discount on your bill if you live alone, or discounts where someone who is ‘severely mentally impaired’ lives at a property.

Age Cymru’s Factsheet 21w has further information on these – and other – ways that you be eligible for a lower Council Tax bill.



Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: