Insurance advice

older asian lady holding telephone

Common types of insurance


Insurance can offer invaluable protection against unforseen events. The price you pay is called a premium. Common types of insurance relate to:


  • your home – if you own your home, you should have buildings insurance to cover damage to the building
  • your belongings – contents insurance covers loss or damage to your household possessions
  • driving – you are required to insure against damage or injury caused by your vehicle to other vehicles and people (you can also insure yourself against theft, damage to your vehicle and injuries caused while driving)
  • travel – travel insurance covers you against the cost of delays, lost property and medical bills while abroad
  • life insurance – your family will get a payment if you die unexpectedly. You should also check what payment is due from your pension scheme if you die
  • pets - you can insure your pet against the cost of vets’ bills, costs incurred finding a lost pet, or if you are unable to care for a pet because of illness.

You may have heard stories in the news about people being wrongly sold Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) when they took out a loan or overdraft. If you are in this situation, or you’ve been offered PPI and aren’t sure if you need it, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service for advice.

Where you can buy insurance

You can buy insurance from:

  • an insurer directly
  • banks and building societies
  • insurance brokers and other financial advisers
  • supermarkets and other retailers.

In each case, the firm selling insurance should be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

You should always get quotes from several companies or use an online calculator before taking out insurance. Insurance brokers can act on your behalf to compare prices and find the best policy for your needs.

Remember: the cheapest policy may not be the best value if there are lots of restrictions on when you can make a claim and how much for.

Insurance complaints

If you’re unhappy with how a claim is handled or with any other aspect of the service, your insurer can let you know how to make a claim. This information should also be in your policy document.

If you're not happy with the response to your claim, ask the Financial Ombudsman to take up the case.

Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: