Anyone can get into debt, for a wide range of reasons, but it’s important to remember that you’re not alone and it’s never too early or too late to seek help.
Take the first steps to regain control and find your way back to a debt-free life.
- Open all letters about your debts. This will give you a clear picture of how much you owe and help you prioritise your debts.
- Decide whether you need a debt adviser if you can’t deal with your debts yourself.
- Write a 'holding letter' to your creditors asking them to suspend any repayments and interest while you take advice. Most creditors will be reasonable if you explain the situation and show that you’re taking positive steps.
- Make sure you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to. Contact your local Age Cymru for a benefits check or browse our Claiming benefits and entitlements section for more advice and information.
Contact a debt adviser
A debt adviser can help you deal with your debts, but don’t be tempted to pay a debt management company – there’s a lot of free, confidential, independent help available.
The following organisations can offer debt advice:
- Age Cymru – your local Age Cymru may offer debt advice or be able to direct you to somewhere nearby that can.
- Business Debtline – offers telephone advice to self-employed people.
- Citizens Advice – offers help via home visits, telephone or email.
- Citizens Advice Consumer Service – provides telephone and online advice on consumer issues.
- National Debtline – provides telephone and email advice. They can send you a free self-help information pack. Visit My Money Steps for a personalised action plan.
- Payplan – provides telephone advice and can help you set up a debt management plan.
- Shelter Cymru – provides advice around housing and homelessness, including managing debt, paying rent or mortgage arrears, and dealing with possible eviction or repossession.
- Stepchange – provides telephone advice and has an online Debt Remedy tool that can work out the extent of your debt and give a personal action plan.