Our Day Centres can be a lifeline to older people. They are invaluable, fun places where older people leave their troubles at the door and enjoy each other’s company over a hot meal.
Some people come for the social aspect and activities, some come for a break from caring responsibilities at home, while others are dealing with relationship breakdowns or bereavement.
Many Age NI daycentres are recruiting for volunteers right now.
As a volunteer in an Age NI Day Centre you will
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships with users within the Day Centre
- Accompany clients on the bus to /from the day centre
- Provide assistance with domestic tasks including serving meals and dish washing
- Work with individuals to maintain their levels of mobility and independence
- Be involved with the planning and implementation of activities in the Day Centre.
- Provide assistance on Day trips
- To verbally report any concerns about users to the Daycentre Manager
What skills or qualities do I need to have?
- Good Communication skills and a team player
- A liking for and empathy with older people
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- An interest in developing activities for older people
What is in it for me?
- Social interaction and a chance to develop friendships.
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses
Day centre volunteers
'My name is Ann Corbett. I’m 59. I volunteer every Thursday at Anna House day centre in Dunmurry.'
Charlotte is in her 80's and has been volunteering at Age NI’s Laurelhill day centre in Lisburn supporting people to live well with dementia for over 22 years.
'I first became aware of Age NI’s work after my mum volunteered in their Skainos Day Centre – it was clear to see how much she enjoyed and got out of it and so I decided to give it a try myself.'
Ken, 70, had some free time and decided to volunteer his musical skills to enrich the lives of older people in Age NI day centres.
Natasha, 20, volunteers at an Age NI day centre in East Belfast once a week.
'I volunteer at an Age NI day centre in Ballyclare for older people living with dementia.'
How to get involved
We have opportunities in the following areas: East Belfast, Dunmurry, Ballyclare, Ballynahinch, Castlewellan, Dungannon, Kilkeel, Newry, Lisburn & Portaferry.
View full list of our Day Centres
How to apply
Download the role description and application form, from the download area below. Please send your completed form to:
Stacey Lee, Volunteer Co-Ordinator
Age NI, 3 Lower Crescent, Belfast, BT7 1NR
Tel: 028 9024 5729
Short url for this webpage: www.ageni.org/daycentrevolunteer