Author: Age NI
Published on 28 November 2013 03:00 PM
We should always be mindful of keeping our homes secure but perhaps never more so than at Christmas. This is true for us all but especially for older people in our local communities.
Hugh Black, Age NI comments, ‘As Christmas is a time when our homes will be full of gifts, decorations and holiday supplies now is a good time to review your home insurance policy and make sure you are fully covered.
‘It is crucial to read the small print of your policy so you are aware of any exceptions that could stop you from being eligible for a claim should the worst happen. It is also worth checking that there is provision for any increase in household valuables during the festive period and making sure your policy is tailored to your individual needs and circumstances.
Age NI offers the following top tips to protect your home over the festive season:
- Read the small print of your Home Insurance policy thoroughly
- Keep Christmas gifts out of sight when leaving the house
- Check your decorative lights, particularly if you’ve had them a few years, for loose, frayed or bare wires, broken bulbs and cracked plugs
- Make sure that Christmas lights are turned off when you leave the house
- Don’t overload plug sockets and make sure to switch off electrical items when not in use
- If travelling away from home, inform a trusted neighbour or family member and provide them with a contact telephone number
- Keep your claims helpline telephone number easily to hand in case you need to make a claim or require assistance in an emergency
For further information about insurance products offered by Age NI Enterprises, including home and travel, visit www.ageni.org/products, call freephone 0808 100 4545 or visit 10 College Street, Belfast, BT1 6BT to speak to a colleague in person.
Age NI Enterprises Limited is an Appointed Representative of Age UK Enterprises Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for insurance mediation.