Author: Get Online @ Home
Published on 04 July 2013 12:00 PM
It’s now easier than ever to start using the Internet with your own ready-to-go personal computer at a truly affordable price.
Get Online @ Home is an initiative from Microsoft and its partners to provide low cost refurbished desktop and laptop computers to support the Go ON UK digital inclusion programme.
Since launch in 2011, Get Online @ Home has supplied over 23,000 computers across the UK. All the refurbished PCs and laptops are designed to do the basics well, with minimum spec of 60Gb harddrive and 2GHz processor.
Charities and individuals on certain benefits can get a no-nonsense refurbished computer for the following prices (July 2013):
- Desktop computer for £99 (£149 if not eligible)
- Laptop computer for £149 (£179 if not eligible)
Baroness Lane-Fox, who established Go ON UK which aims to make the UK the most digitally skilled nation in the world, says:
“With the cost of internet access cited as a key reason for not being online, this is an incredible saving and will transform the lives of everyone that hasn’t been able to get online before. With so much online now, from paying bills and banking to job applications, connecting with people and getting the very best deals, being online is no longer a nice to have, it is an essential.”
- Easy on your pocket – with one all-in price for a well-powered, refurbished computer (desktop or laptop) plus 30-day warranty and support, for a fraction of the cost of a new computer
- Easy to get started – with the latest Microsoft® software, that friends and families know and can help you with, already set up for you. Also included is a selection of free accessibility software
- Easy to keep in touch – join in the online conversation with family and friends using email, instant messaging, Facebook and much more
- Easy to save money – do your shopping, pay your bills and get the best deals online to save £££s
- Easy to learn – develop the IT confidence and skills that are necessary for everyday life and almost any job.
The computers delivered by the Get Online @ Home programme are high quality, refurbished devices. This means they have been used before, generally in business situations. Although they are no longer needed by their original owner, they have many years of useful life left in them. These refurbisher partners restore them to give them a fresh start: any data will be removed; a new set of the core Microsoft software will be installed and all the hardware will be cleaned and polished for the new owner. In environmental terms, recycling two PCs is the equivalent of taking a car off the road for a year.
To purchase an affordable computer visit www.getonlineathome.org or telephone 03719 100 100.