Skip to content

Author: Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Published on 10 February 2012 11:30 AM

The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety has today published 'Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (Quarter ending 30 June 2011)'.

This is the first reporting and publication of official statistics about carers in Northern Ireland. These statistics derive from quarterly community information returns CA1 and CA1b relating to completed assessments, declined assessments and re-assessments, reviews and reasons assessments and re-assessments were declined by carers. Figures are detailed both regionally and by Health and Social Care Trusts in Northern Ireland.

Key Facts and Figures:

  • During quarter ending 30 June 2011, 1,206 carers assessments were completed and 1,244 carers assessments were declined;
  • Over half (51%) carers assessments offered during the quarter were declined. This compares with 8% declined in England during 2009/10;
  • Of the 1,206 completed assessments, 99% (1,198) related to adult carers, and 1% (8) to young carers (aged 16-17);
  • Of those cared for by carers with completed assessments, 44% were in the Elderly POC, 19% were in Physical and Sensory Disability, and 10% were in Mental Health and 9% were in Family and Child Care;
  • Almost all carers declining an assessment were adult carers (99%), whilst the remaining 1% (8) were young carers;
  • When carers were asked about the main reason for declining a reassessment; 43% (537) reported they already had adequate informal support, 16% (202) that it was not a suitable time for assessment, 9% (110) that an assessment would not be beneficial, 8% (92) did not view themselves as a carer, 4% (52) wanted their issues as a carer to remain private, 2% (25) had 'Other' reasons and 18% (219) gave no reason for declining an assessment;
  • During quarter ending 30 June 2011, 275 carers reviews were completed, 97% (267) for adult carers and 3% (8) for young carers;
  • During the same quarter 102 carers reassessments were completed and 84 reassessments were declined.

This publication is available online at: www.dhsspsni.gov.uk

Comments



For more information: Call Age NI Advice: 0808 808 7575