Author: Sheila McKechnie Foundation
Published on 27 June 2012 11:00 AM
The first Sheila McKechnie Be the Change Award is now open for nominations.
The Award is a recognition and celebration of someone who has:
- demonstrated their commitment to and effectiveness in tackling the root causes of injustice and inequality
- made a difference by achieving sustainable and innovative solutions for social, economic or environmental change
- developed a network of support
Nominees may be household names or just as equally might be unknown to the wider public, and their track record in effective campaigning may be at a local, national or global level.
Dame Sheila McKechnie was seen as one of the most eloquent and effective campaigners of her generation. This special award honours her legacy and the winner will join her in SMK’s ‘hall of fame’, which will be a source of inspiration for anyone who wants to stand up and take action on issues that matter to them.
You can nominate someone by emailing the following information:
- the name of your nominee and their campaign(s)
- up to 100 words per answer for the following questions about the nominee and their campaigning:
- what is the focus of their campaign(s)?
- what social, economic or environmental change has their campaigning achieved?
- how has the nominee demonstrated their commitment to, and effectiveness in, tackling the root causes of injustice and inequality?
- what solutions has the nominee devised and used to make a difference?
- any extra information that might be useful or relevant for us
- your contact details, including email address and phone number
- if possible, the nominee’s contact details (although this is not necessary)
Please note that the nominees need to be based in the UK.
The winner will be chosen by an independent panel made up of leading individuals from the campaigning and voluntary sectors.
The winner will receive their award at the SMK Campaigner Awards ceremony at St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, on 18 September 2012.
To nominate, please email Aura Lehtonen at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7697 4044.
The nomination process will close 1pm, 16 July 2012. For more information please visit