Everyone is eligible for free NHS prescriptions in Northern Ireland. You can also get a free NHS sight test when you reach 60. But depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to help with other NHS health costs.
If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, you automatically qualify for help towards NHS health costs.
You will get:
- free NHS dental treatment
- a free NHS eye test once a year
- a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- help with necessary travel costs to receive NHS treatment if you are referred by a doctor or dentist or must see a consultant
- free NHS wigs and fabric supports.
If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but have a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help with the above costs (NI Direct).
How do I claim?
If you receive Guarantee Credit, you will automatically get help with NHS costs (just show your awards notice as proof).
If you do not receive Guarantee Credit and want to apply for help, you need to fill in a claim form. You can download a Pension Credit form from NI Direct or pick one up from a Social Security Office (NI Direct), dentist, optician or hospital.