Everyone aged over 60 gets free prescriptions and eye tests. But depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to help with other NHS health costs.
Can I claim it?
Before paying for treatment, ask your dentist, optician or hospital staff for advice. Depending on your circumstances, you could get:
- free NHS dental treatment
- free NHS prescriptions
- a free NHS eye test
- a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- help with travel costs to receive NHS treatment
- free NHS wigs and fabric supports.
You will qualify if you and/or your partner receive:
- the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (in some circumstances)
- Universal Credit.
If you don’t receive any of these benefits but have a low income, you may still get some help with health costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme. Call Help with Health Costs on 0300 330 1343 for a form or pick one up from a dentist, optician or hospital.
How do I claim?
For help with NHS costs, just show your benefit award letter or HC2 or HC3 certificate as proof.