Lone Pensioner Allowance

Older lady

The Lone Pensioner Allowance (LPA) scheme provides a 20% deduction on the rate bill for people aged 70 or over who live alone.

This is of great benefit to older people who do not qualify for rates rebate or who perhaps only qualify for a certain amount of rates rebate because of a higher income or savings. LPA is not means-tested in any way.

Can I claim it?

To get Lone Pensioner Allowance you must live alone, be aged over 70 and a ratepayer. For specific advice relating to your individual circumstances, please contact the Age NI Advice Service on 0808 808 7575.

How do I claim it?

Telephone the Land & Property Services helpline on 0845 300 6360 or textphone 0845 300 6361. 

Free benefit check

If you, or an older person you know needs advice, information or practical support on a wide range of issues including welfare benefits, community care, housing and health, contact the Age NI Advice Service on Freephone 0808 808 7575 to speak to a specialist advisor in confidence. Our advisors can provide a free benefit check to ensure that older people are accessing the benefits they are entitled to.

Every year our Advice Service helps thousands of older people in need. Call the Age NI Advice Service today to make sure that you are receiving all the help and support available to you.

Age NI Advice Line:
0808 808 7575

Donate pie

John Leishman

More money
in your pocket

A guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age life.

Later Life Update

Receive our latest news and events information by email.

Subscribe now



Personal Alarm

Products & Services

Age NI offers a range of products and services tailor-made for the over 50s.

Older people

About Age NI

We deliver care services, provide advice and advocacy, fundraise and influence our decision-makers to help more people love later life.

Investors In People Bronze

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: