Inheritance Tax

older woman with grown up daughter

Inheritance Tax (IHT) may be payable on a person’s estate after they die. Not everyone has to pay it. It's only due if the estate is over the IHT threshold (currently £325,000).

Inheritance Tax is usually paid on an estate when someone dies, but may also be paid on trusts and gifts made during someone’s lifetime. Most estates don’t have to pay Inheritance Tax because the first £325,000 is exempt from IHT. This is known as the nil rate band. Tax is charged at 40% on the amount over £325,000.

When a spouse or civil partner dies, any unused part of their nil rate band can be passed on to their surviving partner. When the second person dies, their estate can benefit from this increased threshold.


Even if your estate is over the threshold, you can pass on assets without having to pay IHT. For example, your estate usually doesn’t have to pay IHT on anything you leave to a spouse or civil partner. Gifts of up to £3000 in each tax year are also exempted, as are small gifts to individuals and some wedding or civil partnership gifts.

Gifts to charities established in the United Kingdom, political parties, housing associations or for ‘national purposes’, eg a museum or university, are also exempt.

Read more about Inheritance tax (HMRC website)

Guide to benefits and money after a death (NI Direct)

Let's talk money 

Let's talk money publications

  • opens link in new window More money in your pocket
    A guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age. (PDF 358KB)

    opens link in new window Let's talk money
    A poster for promoting Age NI's free benefits check. (PDF 2MB)

      View all Money matters downloads Help with Downloads


      What is a download?

      A download is a document (like a research report, a leaflet, or an application form) that can be transferred from our website to your computer. You can download a file, view it on your screen, print it, or save it to your computer.

      What is a PDF?

      PDF stands for ‘portable document format’.

      Most downloads on this website are PDFs. We use this format to ensure that the document looks the same on everyone’s computer (website pages, by contrast, appear differently depending on how people have got their computer set up).

      How do I download a PDF?

      Computers use a program called Adobe Acrobat Reader to download PDFs. If you try clicking on a link to download a PDF and it doesn’t work, you will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader onto your computer.

      How do I install Adobe Acrobat Reader?

      The process is quite straightforward and is free.

      1. Go to opens link in new window opens link in new window
      2. Click ‘Download’.
      3. Wait for the window to offer you the option to ‘Run’, then choose this option.
      4. Click ‘Next’.
      5. Click ‘Install’
      6. Wait for the window to offer you the option to ‘Finish’, then choose this option.

      How do I change a download?

      PDFs cannot be changed. If you need to be able to type into a downloaded document (for example, if we are offering a letter template that you need to put your name on) we will provide it as a Microsoft Word document rather than a PDF. You can then download it, type into it and save it to your computer.

      How do I print or save a download?

      Downloads will open on your computer in a new browser window.

      Inside this window (below all your web browser menus), there will be a toolbar with options for you to print or save the document.

      Close the browser window to return to the Age UK website.

      Can my screen reader read PDF downloads?

      We have made every effort to make our PDFs accessible to screen readers. Here is an overview of your accessibility options available in Acrobat Reader. Please ensure that you have downloaded the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the Adobe Reader website to ensure that they are included in your version of the programme.

      You can use Adobe Reader to read a PDF out loud with the following shortcut keys:

      • Read the document: Shift +Ctrl+Y
      • Read the open page only: Shift +Ctrl+V
      • Read to the end of the document: Shift+Ctrl+B
      • Pause: Shift+Ctrl+C
      • Stop Shift+Ctrl+E

      You can also convert a PDF into a web page by following these steps:

      • Copy the URL (web address) of the document (right-click on the link and select ‘Save target as’ or ‘Copy link’).
      • Open the Adobe online conversion tool in your browser and paste the URL into the URL box.
      • Tick the HTML box on the Format option and click ‘Convert’.

      You can convert a PDF document into a text file for use with other software and hardware such as Braille printers by opening the PDF and choosing ‘Save as text’ from the File menu.

      Age NI Advice:
      0808 808 7575
      Age NI staff

      Connect with us

      Talk with us and follow our messages, tweets, videos and photos.

      Useful websites

      • My Lost Account website offers a free service to help you trace lost accounts.

      Two people talking

      Tell us your story

      Share your first hand accounts of issues or problems that older people are experiencing in relation to public services.

      Share your story

      Close window
      Display options

      Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

      Text size


      To see information relating to England, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: