Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the Age UK Funeral Plan.
Q. How can I arrange my funeral the way I want it?
A. There is a choice of four prepaid funeral plans available, with different services, so you can choose how you want your funeral to be. Any special requests, such as a favourite hymn or reading can be added as part of your application. If you request flowers or other elements that may incur a cost you can pay a contribution towards an Ivy, Holly or Rowan Plan at the time of purchase or your Funeral Organiser would have to pay for those services at the time of the funeral. You can't make any financial contribution payments towards the cost of any special requests for the Basic Plan.
Q. Can I choose my Funeral Director?
A. Dignity will allocate a funeral director to your plan. For the Ivy, Holly & Rowan Plans there are over 1,300 Nominated Funeral Directors and for the Basic Plan there are approximately 800 Nominated Funeral Directors across the UK. You may choose a funeral director from the relevant list. However, you cannot choose a funeral director that is not part of the list. If you would like your plan allocated to a specific funeral director please contact us before you purchase. We may allocate your plan to a different Nominated Funeral Director if required.
Q. How will my Funeral Organiser know what to do when the time comes?
A. It takes just one telephone call from your Executor or appointed person to put your funeral plan into action. Everything they need to know is in the Funeral Organiser Pack provided with your Planholder's Pack.
Q. Does it take long to arrange my funeral plan?
A. No, it's a very quick and simple application process. You can purchase it over the phone, online or by post. You will receive your Planholder's Pack in the post within 14 days.
Q. Are there any acceptance restrictions or plan limitations?
A. Acceptance to the Age UK Funeral Plan is guaranteed whatever your state of health and there are no age limits, as long as you are aged 50 or over.
The Plans do not include:
- The cost of some special requests such as memorials, flowers, catering, newspaper obituaries etc.
- Transport of more than 50 miles from the Nominated Funeral Director. Any charge for any additional miles will be payable to the Nominated Funeral Director at the time.
- The cost of removal of mechanisms such as pacemakers (which must be removed before a cremation).
- Costs for conducting the funeral, burial or cremation on a weekend, at an unusual hour or public holiday.
- Any additional charges passed to us due to changes in regulations, tax, laws or generally accepted practice.The cost of repatriation outside mainland Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Wight on the Isle of Man (Basic Plan not available on the Isle of Man).
- Any Medical certification fees and Coroner’s fees.
Other Plan limitations include:
- If the Plan is paid for by instalments and the funeral is required before the final payment has been paid, your Funeral Organiser would have to pay the outstanding balance at the time of the funeral.
- Any taxes. Value Added Tax is not currently charged on a funeral service. However, if this or any other tax becomes chargeable on a funeral service or part of it your Personal Representative must pay the tax at the time of the funeral.
Basic Plan limitations:
- There is a restricted choice from approx 800 Funeral Directors.
- A restricted choice of date and time for the funeral will be available. Typically this means that with the Basic Funeral Plan the service will take place before 10.30am or after 3.30pm Tuesday - Thursday.
- You may not make any financial contribution payments towards the costs of any Special Requests.
- Not available on the Isle of Man.
Q. What if I change my mind once I’ve taken out a plan?
A. The Age UK Funeral Plan offers a 28-Day Money-Back Guarantee. If you change your mind within that time, you’ll get a full refund of the money you have paid in. You can still cancel after 28 days, but there is a £95 cancellation fee, which is the lowest cancellation fee on the market.
Q. Who looks after the money I pay into the plan?
A. Any payment that you make towards your Age UK Funeral Plan goes directly into an Independent Trust Fund where the money required for the funeral is carefully managed until its needed.
Q. Am I covered if I want a burial and not a cremation?
A. The plan helps to take care of a burial funeral too because the Funeral Director's services that are included in the plan are guaranteed. It also includes a contribution of £1,200 towards burial costs and minister's fees, which is guaranteed to rise each year in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI). This is one of the highest contributions available, and not all funeral plans offer any contribution towards burial costs.
Q. What happens if funeral costs go up dramatically?
A. The plan guarantees to cover the full cost of the Funeral Director’s services, minister’s fees and the cremation fee, as set out in the plan, regardless of how far in the future it is needed or by how much costs have risen. Not all providers offer this guarantee. Once you have taken out a prepaid Age UK Funeral Plan, these costs are frozen and guaranteed never to increase. No matter when the plan is activated, you will still receive the same high-quality service you would expect today.
Q. What happens if I die before I have finished paying all the monthly instalments?
A. If you die before all of the instalments have been paid, the funeral will be provided in accordance with this Agreement. However, your Personal Representative will be responsible for paying the outstanding instalments due, at the time of the funeral.
Q. Can I see the Terms and Conditions of the Funeral Plan?
A. Yes. Download the Age UK Funeral Plan Terms and Conditions (PDF 325KB).
Q. What if I move address?
A. If you move address in the UK, an alternative Nominated Funeral Director will be appointed to you, if appropriate. However, if you wish to remain with the original Nominated Funeral Director, but they are no longer in your local area, an extra mileage fee may be incurred for the use of Funeral Director’s vehicles.
Q. Am I able to have an eco-friendly funeral or coffin?
A. Please call the customer service team on 0800 022 3243 to discuss eco-friendly funeral services and coffins available in your area.
Q. Can I take out a joint plan?
A. Either complete two personal arrangements forms and each take out a plan, or you can pay an extra administration fee of £75 to a single plan with both your names assigned to it. A joint plan will hold your individual requests, but will be put into action solely on behalf of one of the Planholders only. Call for more details.
Q. Can I take out a funeral plan for someone else?
A. Yes‚ as long as they are aged 50 or over. Just follow the simple instructions on our application process.