Health benefits

older lady being examined by doctor

Everyone in Scotland gets free prescriptions and eye tests. If you have less than £16‚000 in savings you may be able to get some help towards dental treatment‚ glasses and travel costs to hospital.

Ask your dentist‚ optician or hospital staff for advice before paying for treatment. The HC1 form can be used to claim help with NHS dental treatment; NHS wigs and fabric supports; sight tests‚ glasses and contact lenses; and travel to hospital for NHS treatment. There may be other ways of getting help if you have certain medical conditions.

How to apply

You need the HC1 application form. This is available from Jobcentre Plus offices, many opticians, dentists, local hospitals and GP surgeries or by calling the NHS forms order line on 0845 610 1112 (lo-call rate). You can also request a form online from the NHS Business Services Authority (see Useful website).

For a copy of the form in large print or other formats or for help to fill it in, call the Help with Health Costs helpline on 0845 850 1166 (lo-call rate). They can also provide an interpreter if English is not your first language. Simply call and tell them in English what language you prefer or ask a friend to tell them.

Your Age Scotland

Set your location to see what Age Scotland offers in your local area.

Silver Line Scotland:
0800 4 70 80 90

Useful website

  • The NHS Business Services Authority administers the 'Help with health costs' scheme. You can read basic information about the scheme and request benefit forms (HC1 and HC5) on their website.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Wales set your preference below: