Can you make a difference this Volunteers Week?
04 June 2013
If you've a desire to make life better for older people, then we've a role for you!
Volunteers are the life-blood of many charities, for example at Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin we have over 800 volunteers to help us to run a range of vital services for over 20,000 older people.
Our volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have many different types of experiences to offer, and they range in age from teenagers to 90 year olds. But they all have one thing in common: a desire to make a real difference to the lives of older people.
If you have ever wondered whether volunteering is something you can do, volunteering has many benefits: volunteering can help you have fun, feel appreciated, make friends, learn new things and have a rewarding experience. At Age UK we look after our volunteers by giving them support, offering training and the chance to acquire new skills, as well as reimbursing any expenses incurred.
Whatever your interest or experience, wherever you live, and however much time you are able to give, there is a role out there for you. Age UK have more than 20 different roles available in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin from as little as two hours a week, here are just a few that we can offer:
- Day centre helper – supporting members at one of our day centres for one day every week
- Befriending – visiting an older person who is lonely or isolated on a regular basis
- Minibus driver – picking up members of our day centres at their home and driving them to the day centre (Shrewsbury only)
- Benefits volunteer – visiting older people at home and helping them to fill in their benefits application forms
- Advocacy volunteer – visiting older people at home and supporting them to sort out their problems
- Befriending a person with dementia or their carer to offer support and friendship (Telford & Wrekin only)
- Diamond Drop In Centre helper – supporting people with dementia and their carers who visit our Diamond Drop In Centres
- Home from Hospital – helping older people for a few weeks after they return home from hospital, to assist them to regain their independence (in south and north east Shropshire)
- Mentor to a young person in school (Telford & Wrekin only)
For all of these roles we will offer training and support.
Please take the plunge and give us a call!