Enhanced Day Care Service
This is a new service from Age UK Bolton launched in partnership with Bolton Council’s Adult Services, Bolton Carers Support Group and Bolton Dementia Support Group for older people in Bolton, which will be delivered across three Council Day Care Centres and in the community. The aim of this new service is to keep older people and their carers as mentally, socially and physically active as possible and to prevent or delay a deterioration in their quality of life.
As part of Age UK Bolton’s new Enhanced Day Care Service, we are looking for friendly and compassionate people to work as Day Care Companions. The role would involve visiting one of Bolton Council’s Enhanced Day Care Centres (Thicketford Centre, Winifred Kettle and Horwich Day Care) for a couple of hours each week to interact with and spend time with the residents over a cup of tea and a slice of toast or cake.
Skills and Qualifications
No previous experience is essential, however, the position would ideally suit someone with previous care experience. The applicant must have a genuine interest in the health and wellbeing of older people, be friendly, a good communicator, approachable and be able to make a regular commitment to visiting their chosen centre each week.
- To encourage Day Care Service Users to keep socially and intellectually active in order to aid their mental and emotional well-being
- To give Day Care Service users a sense belonging and being cared for through taking the time to visit and interact with them either on a one-to-one or on a small group basis
- To ensure Day Care Service Users are doing something fulfilling despite the limitations of their memory loss
- To provide feedback to Age UK on Service Users experiences of Day Care in Bolton
- An understanding of and empathy with the issues affecting older people, particularly those who are living with Dementia
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- A caring and compassionate individual who can work with and alongside existing care staff
- A non-judgemental approach and be committed to equal opportunities
- Willing to undergo an Enhanced DBS check
- Willing to undertake initial and ongoing training relating to the role including role specific Dementia Awareness training.
2-3 Hours per week
For further information, or for an informal discussion, please email email@example.com or ring 01204 701525; alternatively you can contact Emma Taylor by email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01204 382411