Information about our Help at Home service
Published on 18 January 2019 11:22 AM
Important information about the Help at Home service
From February 16th Age UK Brighton and Hove will no longer be working with home helps and gardeners offering a Help at Home service. This difficult decision has been made because the service is no longer financially sustainable for the charity and we are writing to those affected to let them know.
What does this mean for our service users?
- If older people are happy with their existing home help or gardener, they are likely to be able to create a private arrangement with them, so that their existing support can continue.
- As Age UK Brighton & Hove will no longer be managing or doing the administration for Help at Home, service users no longer need to pay the quarterly subscription fee to the charity.
- If service users have any changes to, queries about or problems with the service going forward they would need to speak directly to their helper(s) rather than to Age UK Brighton & Hove.
I currently use the Help at Home service, what action do I need to take?
- If you would like to continue receiving support from your existing home help(s) and/or gardener(s), speak to them about this and agree that you’d like your current arrangements to continue. This would be a private arrangement, with no involvement from Age UK Brighton & Hove. You would continue to pay them directly for their work.
- If you are not happy with your current support and would like to find new helpers you can call our Information & Advice team on 01273 720 603 and they will be able to talk you through your options.
- You no longer need to pay the quarterly fee to Age UK Brighton & Hove. Please contact your bank to cancel your standing order, or stop sending in the money via your usual payment method. If you are due a refund from your last quarterly payment (or you pay us by mistake in future), you will be reimbursed as soon as possible.
We are sorry if the closure of our Help at Home service is disappointing, however, if you do decide to stick with your existing helpers it’s likely that you’ll see little difference to your service on a day to day basis.
We don’t want anyone to feel worried about these changes. If you have any concerns at all, you can talk them through with our Information & Advice team, who are on hand to help each weekday. If you are unsure about this issue, or anything else related to later life please don’t hesitate to call 01273 720 603.