What does our project do?
Our Welfare Benefits Advice service is based at the Martlets Hospice, Hove. The project is a partnership between the Martlets and Age UK Brighton and Hove.
The aim of the project is to offer a volunteer-based home visiting service, alongside a Welfare Benefits advice clinic, held weekly at the Martlets, to people affected by advanced cancer or other life-limiting illnesses.
Offering practical support
Our Martlets Welfare Benefits Advisers are able to offer practical support with:
- Welfare Benefits entitlement checks.
- Support in applying for Welfare Benefits (completion of forms/telephone calls/letter writing)
- Accessing charitable grants.
- Applying for help with health costs, such as travel to hospital.
- Applying for transport concessions, such as a disabled parking badge.
- Support with benefit appeals and decisions.
- Referrals to other service providers where necessary (housing, debt, employment).
- At present client referrals to the project come through Age UK Brighton and Hove and the Martlets Hospice.