Published on 28 February 2019 01:31 PM
Through The Eyes of Older People – Community Reporter
Volunteer Role Description
Are you interested in learning new skills by getting involved in a Greater Manchester-wide campaign?
We are looking for individuals aged 50 and over who would like to get involved in a campaign to inspire people that to believe they needn’t settle for loneliness or boredom in later life – by showcasing people from across Greater Manchester who have overcome challenges to keep active and social.
By joining the campaign, you will become a part of our monthly meetings at our ‘newsroom’ in Greater Manchester, and will be able to take advantage of skills workshops and one-to-one support to build your skills in the types of media you are interested in.
Community Reporter Volunteers will be official Age UK Bury volunteers, and will work directly with our campaign media partners, Yellow Jigsaw – an organisation who specialise in community campaigns.
The Community Reporter volunteer at Age UK Bury will support our media partners, Yellow Jigsaw, to create content – from photography and video content to podcasts and newsletters – that can be used to share stories of people aged 50 and over from across Greater Manchester.
You will be upskilled and supported to become a community reporter – assisting the media team, Yellow Jigsaw, in a range of roles, including:
- Interviewing people
- Photographing people
- Social media posts
- Creating podcasts or videos
- Writing up interviews or creating blogs
You will get to decide which skills and types of media you are interested in.
Assist in planning and implementing the Through The Eyes of Older People campaign using different types of media.
- Attend a monthly ‘newsroom’ for a morning/afternoon in order to plan and develop content, and learn new skills
- Working with your local networks of friends, neighbours, colleagues or councillors to spread the word of the campaign
- Work with the Yellow Jigsaw team to interview members of the public (up to 3 times during the project)
- Motivated to spread positive messages of people aged 50 and over in Greater Manchester
- Interested in learning new media skills or using/sharing their existing media skills to deliver the campaign
- Happy to meet new people
- Proactive and persistent – we are looking for volunteers to commit for the duration of the campaign (until 2020).
We expect community reporters to become a volunteer for the project until March 2020.
Travel expenses will be covered.
Contact Grace on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07859 177 499 for more information.