Do you have time to spare?
Do you want to do something that is both fun and rewarding?
Do you wish to improve or enhance your CV?
Are you wanting to gain confidence or experience?
Then why not consider volunteering for Age UK Carlisle and Eden?
We would value your time!
Download an application form here, contact us on 01228 536673 for more details of the opportunities available, or fill in our Contact Form and we will respond to your query within 5 working days.
Why choose Age UK Carlisle and Eden to volunteer ?
At Age UK Carlisle and Eden we want to inspire our volunteers, enabling each volunteer to grow, in confidence, qualifications and experience, within a warm supportive environment, giving our volunteers structure, a sense of belonging and achievement.
We are unique in that a volunteer can work with one group or many, and as an organisation we motivate and encourage our volunteers to try new experiences, as we want to utilise a volunteers talents for the benefit of themselves and our members.
Good fun and great company
The rewards of being a volunteer are great and can include:
- The fun and satisfaction of being part of a team
- Opportunities to meet people and make new friends
Some commonly asked questions
Will I be able to choose what I do?
Together we will do our best to match your skills and abilities to the work we do.
Will I get any support?
Support for our volunteers is as important to us as providing quality services. You will receive the support and training you need to carry out the work you undertake.
Will I be able to give enough time?
Yes - we value any time you give, however little. You need only give the time you have to spare. We can tailor your commitment to suit the time you have available.
What about my expenses?
Although you will not be paid for the work you do, we will pay any necessary expenses and make sure that you are not out of pocket.
What opportunities are there within Age UK Carlisle and Eden?
Opportunities to volunteer are available throughout our organisation.
Please click on an area which interests you for more details on how you could be of help within that particular service:
Community Home Day Care
Information and advice
Rural Eden and Carlisle Healthwatch: REACH
Duties within our Shopmobility scheme may include:
- Reception work
- Assisting Shopmobility clients with use of equipment
- Dealing with customer enquiries
- Assisting with administration
- Basic equipment maintenance
- Visiting equipment sites to check maintenance, admin etc
- Assistance with events
- Assistance with fundraising
Day Care......we are currently in urgent need of volunteer cooks for our Carlisle Day Care centres......
Duties within our Day Centres may include:
- Welcoming clients on their arrival
- Helping to serve refreshments and lunch
- Chatting and socialising with clients - many often see few people to talk to during the rest of the week
- Joining in and where appropriate, assisting members
- Having fun! If you enjoy yourself you will help create an enjoyable day for all who attend
Community Home Day Care
Becoming a Community Home Day Care host would involve opening up your home once a week or fortnight to three or four older people.
- Provide a home cooked lunch
- Provide an opportunity for guests to join in activities
- Provide an invaluable opportunity for older people to socialise, and be part of a 'family' for a day
And are provided with full training and support.
Shops......we are currently in urgent need of volunteer support in our shop on London Road, Carlisle......
Each shop has its own manager who will arrange your place on the rota, explain the detailed procedures which apply to the shop in which you are working and answer any queries you may have. Duties include:
- Serving customers
- Helping to keep the shop clean and tidy
- Assisting with pricing, sorting and window displays under the direction of the shop manager
- Receiving donated goods
- Replacing stock in the shop under the direction of the shop manager
- Taking telephone messages
- Helping customers find information and passing queries onto relevant Age UK Carlisle and Eden staff
Duties within our lunch clubs may include:
- Providing transport to and from Lunch Club
- Preparing the venue for Lunch Club
- Serving the meal and socialising with guests
- Washing up and cleaning away
- Completing records and collecting Lunch Club payments
Information and advice
Volunteers within our Information, advice and advocacy service could assist in the administrative support of the service, or could undertake the necessary training so that they can give information and advice to clients.
Rural Eden and Carlisle Healthwatch......We are looking for community based volunteers for our REACH project, in all rural locations across Carlisle and Eden districts......
If you have some time to spare and would like to make a positive difference to the wellbeing of older people living your rural community then this could be the role for you.
REACH volunteers will provide short term support to isolated older people, helping them to build confidence and resilience and to reconnect with the local community by accompanying them to local social and healthy living groups.
Full training and support available and travel expenses paid.
For further details of the opportunties available, please contact us on 01228 536673 or on 01768 863 618, or simply download an application form here and return it to us at 20 Spencer Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1BG.
We look forward to hearing from you.