We offer accessible luxury self-catering breaks for carers, staff and volunteers in the caring professions.
8 Thanet Well
Blencathra WF (wheelchair friendly) is a fully accessible lodge in a beautiful, peaceful setting on the fringes of the Lake District.
Retreat history and purpose
The late Mrs Sybil Terry was connected to Age Concern Eden for many years, and wished to leave a legacy for the benefit of Age Concern staff, volunteers, and those in a daily caring role. As a result of her generous bequest, Blencathra WF (previously known as Lowthwaite Lodge) was commissioned and installed in this beautiful location.
Although the retreat is primarily for the people mentioned above, the lodge can also be used as a welcome break for anyone caring for a person with acute or chronic illness, irrespective of age.
Layout and amenities
- The lodge is centrally heated and double glazed
- There are two bedrooms, an en-suite double and a twin bedroom
- There is a family walk-in shower room
- The lounge/dining room is spacious and comfortable with freeview TV and a DVD player
- The lodge is provided with all one would want for a truly luxurious and relaxing self-catering holiday
- The kitchen has a fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washer/dryer, toaster and microwave
- The gas ovens and hob are easy to use
- All crockery and cutlery is supplied
Blencathra WF is available to be booked for a vacation, and bookings are managed by Hoseasons - click here for more information
Thanet Well Lodge Retreat
The peace and tranquillity of the lodge park is breathtaking, with panoramic views of the Lake District fells and Greystoke forest. There is good access to Keswick (17 miles) and the Lake District, including Ullswater, Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite Lake.
There is a small shop on site, selling a few essentials, and a public telephone, as mobile reception can be poor on some networks.
How to find Thanet Well Lodge Retreat
- Exit the M6 at junction 41
- Follow the B5305 for 6 miles
- Take the left turn for Lamonby
- In Lamonby, turn right at the crossroads
- After 1 mile, go straight across the crossroads
- Thanet Well Park is the 2nd turning left (the lane after Duke's Meadow)