What is Beyond Bereavement?
We understand that bereavement affects people in very different ways.
Our group offers support with practical difficulties that can result following a bereavement. Helping to develop skills in areas which may usually have been shared with the person close to you.
The type of activities we do depends on what members of the group decide they would like but can include:
- Cooking together
- Beginners D.I.Y such as wiring a plug
- Getting online
- Inviting speakers to talk on topics of interest
- Social activities such as quizzes; games e.g. Scrabble, Chess; and more…
We are a friendly and informal group, we do not offer specific counselling but, have found that people tend to feel better knowing that they are not alone and are able to share positive and negative experiences with others who have experienced bereavement too.
About the role
Tasks may vary week-to-week and gradually evolve as the group goes on:
- Facilitate conversation/activities/speakers within the group
- Enable participants to share skills and knowledge – benefit from the skills of others
- Facilitate a monthly 'bring and cook' lunch
- Set up and clearing away before and after a group
- Answering calls to individuals who are interested in coming along
- Be aware of Age UK Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly products and services and refer when appropriate
This could be the perfect role for someone who has;
- Good communications skills
- Confidence in cooking simple wholesome meals
- An understanding of confidentiality
- An understanding of, and empathy with, the needs of older people
- Patience and sensitivity
Find out more
If you are interested in volunteering for our Beyond Bereavement groups, please call our Helpline on - 01872 266383 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can register your interest online by clicking this link or contacting our Helpline on 01872 266383 - email@example.com