Supporting our Day Services
We are searching for caring Volunteers in Cornwall, who could provide support at our Day Services on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs or Friday. This role helps to reduce loneliness and isolation in Cornwall, assisting clients on and off our minibuses in St Austell, Newquay & Falmouth localities.
If you are interested, please apply using the link below
Our escorts are an essential part of our Day Service team. Ensuring clients are met at their door or an agreed pick up point; safely transferred to and onto the bus and then enjoy their journey in comfort as they travel to their destination. Assisting, where appropriate, as they get on and off the bus is an important element. We help our clients to arrive at their destination feeling relaxed and happy.
- Meet and greet our clients at their homes
- Assess the suitability/safety of clients’ footwear/clothing as appropriate for use and weather conditions
- Escort our clients to the waiting minibus which may include assisting with their wheelchair or other mobility needs
- Assist our clients as they get on the bus. This involves manually handling a drop-down step as well as a ramp, to help if the client is a wheelchair user
- Ensure our clients are safely seated, with seatbelts securely in place for the journey. Where our client is seated in a wheelchair, the chair itself must be safely fixed to the bus with straps provided
- Encourage conversation with and between clients
- Promote Age UK Cornwall & IOS services as appropriate
- Be aware of any safeguarding concerns and report immediately
- Assist our clients to safely get off the bus at their destination and escort them into the facility eg a Day Centre, ensuring they transfer to an appropriate member of staff or other volunteers
- There is an opportunity to also volunteer within our Day Centres at this point, before the afternoon journey home
- The return journey allows for a catch up about their day and the important role of ensuring they are safely returned home having had a good day but also an enjoyable journey with us.
Personal qualities most suited to this role:
- Good communication skills are essential
- Understanding of confidentiality and safeguarding (training will be given)
- Ability to assist with wheelchairs and manual use of drop-down step (training will be given)
How much time is involved?
- Daily or weekly
- Newquay Day Centre: 8:30 – 10:00 and 14:30 – 16:00
- St Austell Day Centre: 8:15 – 10:45 and 14:45 – 16:45
- Falmouth Day Centre: 8:30 – 11:00 and 14:30 – 17:00
Expenses and insurance:
- Age UK Cornwall & IOS cover out-of-pocket expenses (eg travel costs to meet the bus) up to a 15-mile round trip.
- Age UK Cornwall & IOS insure you for the time you are volunteering with us
Core Training for all roles:
- Health & Safety
- GDPR (data protection) and Confidentiality
- Lone Working
Training specific to this role:
- Manual handling
- Escort training eg how to use components of the bus such as drop-down step and wheelchair ramp and straps
- Day Centre Manager
DBS & references are required for all our Volunteer roles
Find out more
If you are interested in volunteering or becoming part of our Day Services team, please call our Helpline on - 01872 266383 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can apply online by clicking this link or contacting our Helpline on 01872 266383 - or via email on email@example.com