What is the Service?
We are excited to be launching the first component of our bereavement service in
the form of a ‘Beyond Bereavement’ group.
This is a group specifically for individuals who have been bereaved, with a focus around action and solutions rather than bereavement itself. Providing a safe and friendly place where people can feel supported and understood. It will provide the perfect environment for people to learn and receive support from each other, sharing a variety of skills, experiences and knowledge along the way.
The group will bring participants together for cooking classes and enjoying lunch together. This will be an ideal opportunity to learn new cooking skills, share cooking tips and enjoy a hearty meal amongst friends.
Our first groups were launched & piloted in Bodmin & Newquay and began with a welcoming Christmas lunch and a drop-in event on Thursday 28th and Friday 29th December 2017 respectively.
What support can a group offer?
Attendance at a group will help to offer:
- A sense of belonging and feeling understood, surrounded by others who have been through a similar experience.
- A skills exchange principle that shares a myriad of talents and skills within the group, helping others who are struggling or need support.
- A link to other Age UK Cornwall and Isles of Scilly services
- The opportunity to develop I.T. skills and become linked to the wider community through our online portal, The Cornwall Link
- A renewed sense of purpose during a difficult time.
How else can this service help someone?
Following a bereavement, people can lose confidence and/or motivation in social situations. It can be hard to go back to social groups that they used to enjoy due to the change of dynamics without their partner.
This group could;
- Provide the stepping-stone required to help people navigate this difficult period without becoming completely isolated by their grief and anxieties.
- Be the catalyst for other new opportunities such as volunteering, physical activities, fundraising etc.
- Provide practical support from peers and specialist speakers.
- Gaining solutions through peer support can both solve the problem and reduce feelings of embarrassment and/or shame at having to ask.
What is the cost?
There will be a charge of £4 per session which will cover the costs of refreshments, ingredients for cooking and volunteer expenses.
To book one of our groups or to find out more information, please contact our Helpline