Y Shwsh Mawr Appeal
They say silence is golden, and in today’s busy, multi-tasking, always-on world, many of us would give anything for a moment’s peace and quiet.
Sadly, for many older people living alone, silence and loneliness is a daily reality. During the COVID-19 lockdown, this has been one of the hardest things to cope with. No one to ask when you just don't know what to do next. No one to be there for you when you're facing a crisis. No one to talk with when you're feeling desperately lonely.
There are 651,993 people aged 65 and over in Wales.
- 100,000 people aged 65 and over in Wales speak to three or fewer people they know
- 330,000 older people in Wales claim a few minutes of conversation would make a huge difference to their week.
Imagine if that was you - how would you feel?
You can help Age Cymru continue to be here for older people now and in the future by taking part in our Y Shwsh Mawr.
All you have to do is to commit to doing something like… give up social media for a day or a whole weekend, don't look at or use your mobile for a day, stay silent for a few hours, anything you do during the day which involves communicating with people, challenge yourself to not use something for a few hours, a day, a weekend or even a week. Then ask your family, friends and colleagues to sponsor you.
Follow our simple steps and take part in our Y Shwsh Mawr challenge, your way.
- Choose a date which suits you any day in the month of November
- Decide what challenge you’re going to do or pick your own
- Complete your challenge with friends, family, colleagues or on your own
- Donate the money you raised to us and you'll be helping us ensure we continue to be here for older people in Wales, now and in the future.
If you decide to give up social media for a day or a whole weekend, you may want to let people know. We've an image you can use on social to let your friends, family, colleagues and followers know.
So go on…. join in with our Y Shwsh Mawr challenge, knowing that whatever you choose to do, the funds you raise will support Age Cymru to provide more vital advice, support and connection for lonely older people.
Set up an online donation page
Its easy and takes no time at all to set up an online donation page like JustGiving, Virgin Money Giving and Facebook. Once set up you can share this page with friends and family. You don't need to worry about closing the page, we'll receive all the funds once your fundraising is finished.