Other sources of financial information and support

Every year thousands of vulnerable pensioners in Wales may be missing out by not claiming benefits they may be entitled to. If you are struggling to pay your bills, there are a number of organisations that can help you check your benefits entitlements and advise you how to claim them.


Nest is a Welsh Government scheme designed to make private sector households warmer and healthier places to live. To be eligible for a Nest Whole House assessment, householders must own or privately rent their home, be in receipt of a means-tested benefit, and live in an energy inefficient property with an energy efficiency rating of F or G. As well as support in accessing energy efficiency improvements, Nest also provides callers with guidance on benefit entitlement, energy tariffs and money management through a range of expert partners.

Nest is the Welsh Government’s New Fuel Poverty Scheme (NFPS) and British Gas is the delivery partner for the scheme. British Gas’ team of experts from across Wales will visit eligible properties to conduct a Whole House Assessment before suggesting, agreeing and installing a range of measures suitable for that home and its occupants. If you own or privately rent your property, are in receipt of a means tested benefit, and think your home could be F or G rated, please call freephone 0808 808 2244 to make an application to Nest or visit their website

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm discount scheme requires participating energy suppliers to give a rebate on their electricity bill to a specified group of their older customers on low incomes. The Government will inform energy suppliers which households to support through sharing limited data between the Department for Work and Pensions and energy suppliers. Eligibility is linked specifically to certain types of benefits received and for this winter, a rebate of £135 off electricity bills will be provided. For more information , call the Warm Home Discount Scheme helpline on 0845 603 9439 (open Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm).

Grants from Electricity and Gas Supply Companies

All energy suppliers have a duty to reduce carbon emissions by investing in energy efficiency measures in homes, such as insulation. You can take up grants and offers from any energy company, whether or not they supply your gas and electricity. Most companies offer subsidies regardless or your income or age; and 100% grants are available for householders who are aged 70 and and over, are disabled or are on low incomes. Contact the Home Heat Helpline 0800 33 66 99 to speak to an advisor about the help energy companies are offering in your area, or visit the Home Heat Helpline where you can find the help available in your area by postcode. Energy providers have also partnered with Government to provide consumers directly with information on these intiatives. 

Local Council Grants

If you have a low income, your local council may be able to help you with home repairs and improvements, such as insulation. To find out whether you can apply for a grant, contact your local council.

The Pension Service

The Pension Service is part of the UK Government's Department of Work and Pensions. It has a network of centres to deal with queries and claims from people who are, or are about to be pensioners. You can also meet with an advisor by pre-arranged appointment at home if necessary, or at one of a number of Local Service Information points across Wales. To contact the service, call 0845 60 60 265 8am, Mon-Fri (textphone 0845 60 60 285). Welsh speaking customers living in Wales call 0845 60 60 275 (textphone 0845 60 60 295). Alternatively you can visit the Pension Service website.

Age Cymru

Find your local Age Cymru partner for advice on benefits or contact the freephone Advice Line on 08000 223 444. Download the Age Cymru information guide.

'More money in your pocket. A guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age'

Citizens Advice Bureau

Your local bureau will be able to give you advice on benefits, heating, grants and debt. Look in your local phone book or visit Advice Guide or find your local bureau.


GOV.UK replaces Directgov as the official UK Government website for citizens. It has a section on money, tax and benefits, including a benefits advisor that can help you find out information on benefits and tax credits that you may be entitled to. Visit GOV.UK for more information.

Grants and Loans

If you are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit, you may be eligible for a community care grant, budgeting loan or crisis loan. For confidential advice, call 0800 882 200 (textphone 0800 243 355) 8:30am-6:30pm, Mon-Fri and 9am-1pm Saturdays.

Benefit Enquiry

Line for Disabled People and Carers This confidential helpline provides advice on benefits for disabled people and carers. Call 0800 882 200 (textphone 0800 243 355). Lines are open 8:30am-6:30pm, Mon-Fri and 9am-1pm Saturdays.

Dial UK

Disabillity Information and Advice Line (DIAL) provides information and advice on all aspects of living with a disability. To find your nearest advice centre, call 01302 310 123 (textphone 01302 310 123) 10am-4pm, Mon-Thurs and 10am-3pm Fridays. Email informationenquiries@dialuk.org.uk or visit Dial UK.

Contact Us

Keep Well this Winter is coordinated by Age Cymru, a new charity dedicated to improving the lives of older people. If you would like any further information or campaign resources for the Keep Well this Winter Campaign, please contact us at:

Age Cymru
Ty John Pathy
13/14 Neptune Court
Vanguard Way
CF24 5PJ

Tel: 029 2043 1555
Fax: 029 2047 1418

You can also contact us or request Keep Well this Winter information by emailing kwtw@agecymru.org.uk

Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: