Skip to content

Help managing your money

Safe ways for someone to help you manage your money

Think about whether any of these suggestions could work for you.

  • Pay the person back by cheque. This means you can avoid the risk of giving someone access to your bank card and PIN.
  • Set up a standing order. You can instruct your bank or building society to make a regular payment of a fixed amount into another account. This could help if someone regularly does your shopping for you or pays your bills.
  • Set up Direct Debits for your bills. This can be a convenient way to pay regular bills to a company, for example your utilities bills.
  • Use a pre-paid card. This is a payment card that you load with money. It means you can be in control of how much money you’re giving the other person to spend. You can put money on the card at a cash machine, local PayPoint, Post Office, online, or by cheque or bank transfer. You normally have to pay a fee to use most pre-paid cards.
  • Use gift vouchers or gift cards. You can give these to someone else to make purchases on your behalf. Gift vouchers can often be purchased online or over the telephone.
  • Make your bank account a joint account. You can add a trusted person to your bank account so they have access to your money. If you do this, restrict the account so it’s only used for cheques. Ask the bank to set up a ‘both mandate’. This means any cheques must be signed by both of you. Bear in mind that you’ll be liable if the other person causes the account to go overdrawn, which can affect your credit rating.
  • Give someone permission to manage your bank account on your behalf. This is called a third party mandate. You may be able to limit what the person can do, for example, only allowing them to check your balance or withdraw a restricted amount of money.

Ask at your bank or building society for advice on setting up a standing order, Direct Debit, joint account or third party mandate.

I'm worried someone is stealing from me. What can I do?

Unfortunately, there are some people who will take more money than you have given them permission to spend, or spend your change on themselves.

You might suspect someone is being dishonest, but you may be unsure about how to deal with it.

If you think someone is stealing from you, talk informally to someone you trust, or contact Age Cymru Advice on 08000 223 444 or your local council to find your Adult Protection Safeguarding team. You should contact the police if you think a theft has occurred.

Further information


You may find the following document(s) useful

You can download other guides and factsheets from our list of publications

For more information: Call Age Cymru Advice: 08000 223 444

Was this helpful?