Home adaptations and disability equipment


Home adaptations and disability equipment


  • There are many different types of disability equipment available, whether you have difficulty getting in and out of your property, using the stairs, answering the door, or carrying out everyday tasks such as cooking, washing, dressing or using the toilet. Available items might include grab rails, bath boards, raised toilet seats, bed raisers, rising/reclining chairs or adapted kitchen utensils. Further information, including financial assistance that may be available, can be found via our ‘disability equipment’ page. 


  • Home adaptations may concern relatively minor changes or additions to someone’s home, or consist of much larger scale works.  There is a significant overlap between minor adaptations and disability equipment. Something may be classed as a minor adaptation if there is a certain amount of ‘fitting or fixing’ required by a technician or builder, as opposed to the supply of ‘standalone’ equipment. Large adaptations involve more substantial changes, or structural alterations to a property, for example: installing a stairlift, widening doorways, remodelling a bathroom or kitchen, or changing a bath to a level access shower. Alternatively, some older people may not need equipment or adaptations, as such, but be struggling to carry out maintenance tasks and need help with home repairs. For further information on these issues see our page on ‘Repairs or adaptations to your home’.  



  • Handyperson schemes - Some local Age Cymru organisations run handyperson schemes. Alternatively, if you live in any of the following postcode areas you may be eligible for similar services from the Age Cymru HandyVan service: CF3, CF5, CF10, CF11, CF14, CF15, CF23, CF24, CF64. Handyperson services offer older people extra help with small practical jobs to make their lives easier and safer around the home. Exact handyperson services differ from place to place, but these are the sorts of jobs they can usually help with:

      - putting up curtain rails, shelves and pictures 

      - fitting smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and grab rails

      - door and window locks, door chains and door viewers

      - installing draught excluders or radiator heat reflectors


  • Find a tradespersonTrustMark is a Government-backed quality scheme that signposts people to reputable local firms and expert tradespeople working to Government-endorsed standards. All TrustMark firms are uniquely checked for their trading practices, customer service and their technical skills. Click here to use an online Trustmark-approved tradesperson facility on the Age UK website.
Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: