Skip to content

older couple sitting on sofa

A care home resident's eligibility for local authority assistance with care home fees can be affected if they have a partner.

Our factsheet, 'Paying for care in a care home in Wales if you have a partner', has a range of information, including:

  • What may happen if just one of a couple goes into a care home, or if both do.
  • How the private and occupational pensions of the person entering a care home can be partially disregarded if up to 50% is passed to a civil partner or spouse who is remaining at home. 
  • What may happen if the partner who doesn’t go into a care home wants to move from the property they jointly own with the care home resident. 


Further information


You may find the following document(s) useful

You can download other guides and factsheets from our list of publications

For more information: Call our Advice line: 08000 223 444

Was this helpful?

Back to top