The means test and your property

woman outside front door

The value of a house that you own may be included in the local authority means test for the provision of care home accommodation. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule, so for example, the value of your former home will be disregarded (ignored) in the means test if it is occupied in whole or in part by your partner (husband, wife, civil partner or someone you live with as though you are married or civil partners); certain relatives who are 60 years old or over; or a younger relative who is ‘incapacitated’. There are also some discretionary disregards that a local authority can apply.

Our factsheet, 'Treatment of property in the means test for permanent care home provision in Wales', contains further information on this and other issues around how your property will be treated in the means test, including: 

  • The 12 week property disregard for permanent care home placements.
  • Valuation of jointly owned property in the means test.
  • Deferred payment agreements.

opens link in new window  FS38w: Treatment of property in the means test for permanent care home provision in Wales (PDF 358KB)

Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: