Noise and neighbour nuisance

Man in house looking out

There is no precise definition of anti-social behaviour in housing. The 1998 Crime and Disorder Act defines it as acting ‘in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as themselves’.

It may include:

  • Loud noise from neighbours
  • Verbal abuse or threats
  • Vandalism, property damage and graffiti
  • Animal nuisance
  • An overgrown garden which is interfering with your enjoyment of your home.


Our factsheet, Anti-social behaviour in housing, provides information on how to resolve disputes with neighbours‚ and what to do in case of noise nuisance or harassment.

It includes information on:

  • Informal approach to neighbour disputes
  • What your local authority and other social landlords can do
  • When to involved police
  • Neighbourhood wardens
  • Common problems and who to contact
Advice line:
08000 223 444

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What does Age Cymru do in my area?

Donate today

Help support our work with older people

Donate now



A couple getting advice

About Age Cymru

Find out what Age Cymru does, its history, how it raises money and more about the charity.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Scotland set your preference below: