Age Cymru uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them. Read our cookie policy
Skip to content
Please donate

Higher education and university

Most universities and colleges welcome mature students for their commitment, experience and skills.

What qualifications do I need to become a mature student?

When it comes to entry requirements, many universities and colleges have a flexible admissions policy that takes into account work and life experience.

As entry requirements vary so much, it's a good idea to get in touch with the admissions tutors for the courses in which you are interested. It could be worth meeting them to discuss your situation and your options before making an application. You may need to take an access course first.

To ease the transition back into education and help you settle in, universities and colleges often have orientation programmes tailored for mature students.

The UCAS guide for mature students is a thorough guide for those considering higher education

What is an access course?

Access to higher education courses teach the knowledge and skills that you will need to begin a degree or diploma course. They are run by local colleges, usually as evening classes.

There are over 1,500 access courses listed on the Access to HE website.

How do I find a college or university course?

The Complete University Guide provides a wealth of information on universities and courses.

UCAS process all UK university undergraduate applications. Visit their website to use the UCAS course search.

The Open University have been proudly proclaiming their lack of an upper age limit and lack of formal entry requirements for longer than anyone else. They offer a range of distance learning courses.

Can I get funding for higher education?

Studying can sometimes be expensive, but there may be concessions for older people - so make sure you ask. Many institutions also allow distance learning so you can study from home and save costs.

Student Finance Wales have a calculator which gives information on the financial help available to students in higher education in Wales.

If your household income is £18,370 or less, you may be eligible for the Welsh Government Learning Grant which is a grant of up to £1500 for a full time course or up to £750 for a part time course. 

What should I do next?

Read The Complete University Guide

Visit the UCAS website to use the UCAS course search

Consider if you need to take an access course

Alternatively, you could get in touch with the admissions tutors for the courses in which you are interested.

Where can I find more information?

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 08000 223 444

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top