Age Cymru uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them. Read our cookie policy
Skip to content
Please donate

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Published on 25 November 2015 01:30 PM

At this time of year many people will switch on their central heating or gas fires for the first time in months without having had them checked first.

Blocked chimneys and flues, lack of ventilation and faulty gas appliances, fires and central heating systems can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer' and is emitted by faulty appliances powered by any fuel that burns gas, coal, oil, petrol or wood.

Symptoms from inhaling carbon monoxide include headache; dizziness; vomiting; shortness of breath and sometimes people have ‘flu-like' symptoms.

To protect against the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, audible alarms are important but all gas appliances should also be serviced by a Gas Safe-registered engineer annually. 

Wales & West Utilities sponsors Age Cymru's HandyVan service and supplies carbon monoxide detectors that HandyVan installs in older people's homes in Cardiff and Penarth.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top