Skip to content

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit that helps tenants with paying their rent. You cannot claim Housing Benefit if you own your home, however home owners may be able to claim some help with mortgage interest by claiming Pension Credit.

How much will I get?

There is no set amount of Housing Benefit. To decide how much you can receive, the Local Authority will consider how much your rent is, whether you rent privately or are a social tenant and your household circumstances.

As well as you and your partner's income and savings, the income of any other adults living with you may also be considered. This is because they are assumed to be contributing to your rent and the amount deducted for them will be fixed according to their income, regardless of how much they may or may not pay towards the rent.

Ordinarily, if you and your partner have £16,000 in savings, you will not be able to claim Housing Benefit. The exception to this is if you receive the Guarantee Credit component of Pension Credit.

How to claim Housing Benefit

You can get apply for Housing Benefit by contacting your local council. You can also apply for Housing Benefit at the same time as applying for Pension Credit.

If you would like help making a claim, you can contact your local Age Cymru or call Age Cymru Advice on 08000 223 444. 


Further information


You may find the following document(s) useful

You can download other guides and factsheets from our list of publications

For more information: Call Age Cymru Advice: 08000 223 444

Was this helpful?