Care Home Toolkit
Care Home Volunteer - pilot project
This pilot project supported by WCVA and funded by the Welsh Government has worked to recruit, train and support volunteers in eight care homes across Wales. The aim was to support families and friends to visit care homes in line with current Covid guidance, to take the added pressure from care staff and to enhance the well-being of residents through activities of interest to them.
The involvement of the volunteers with the care homes in the pilot project has delivered thoughtful insight and positive outcomes for all involved.
Read the full report
Is there a Welsh version of the toolkit?
Please visit our dedicated Welsh language version of the page - Pecyn Cymorth Cartrefi Gofal
Our toolkit shares resources we have used for recruitment, training and supporting volunteers and care homes.
- Basic safeguarding training (PDF, 116 KB)
- Care Home visiting profile (PDF, 127 KB)
- Care Home volunteer application form (PDF, 172 KB)
- Care Home volunteer follow-up call (PDF, 164 KB)
- Care Home volunteer induction presentation (PPTX, 2 MB)
- Care Home volunteer leaflet (PDF, 544 KB)
- Care Home volunteer poster (PDF, 1 MB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 174 KB)
- Hours log (PDF, 83 KB)
- Induction to care homes (PDF, 217 KB)
- Reflection sheet (PDF, 80 KB)
- Risk assessment - example (PDF, 91 KB)
- Visitor support volunteer advert (PDF, 49 KB)
- Volunteer dementia awareness and communications workshop (PDF, 127 KB)
- Volunteer expenses (PDF, 141 KB)
- Volunteer induction checklist (PDF, 50 KB)
- Volunteer journey (PDF, 108 KB)
- Volunteer personal details form (PDF, 52 KB)
- Volunteer reference (PDF, 113 KB)
- WCVA example risk assessment form (PDF, 120 KB)
- Welcome pack for the care home (PDF, 534 KB)
- Welcome pack - friends and relations (PDF, 348 KB)
- Welcome pack - volunteering in care homes (PDF, 612 KB)
- Your Mind Matters - Thinking about your mental health and well-being when living in a care home (PDF, 293 KB)