Skip to accessibility page
Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size



New phone number for Police non-emergency calls

27 October 2011

Derbyshire police is today launching a new telephone number which will make it easier for people get in touch with the force about issues that do not need an emergency response.


From today (Monday, October 24), people will be able to contact Derbyshire Constabulary by dialling 101, which replaces the former 0345 123 3333 non-emergency number.
 Derbyshire Police logo
It is part of a national drive to make it easier for people to contact police to report crime and disorder, with all forces using the number by the end of this year.
While 999 is a well recognised number to report emergencies, the 2010 British Crime Survey found that only 54 per cent of the public know how to contact their local police if they want to talk to them about local policing issues, crime or anti-social behaviour.



It is hoped that 101 will reduce the number of inappropriate 999 calls, allowing the force to respond to emergencies more effectively.
By calling 101, you will be able to speak to the police force control room of your local police service. Calls from landlines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long you are on the phone. 


When to use 101

You should use 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example:

  • if your car has been stolen; 
  • if your property has been damaged; 
  • where you suspect drug use or dealing; 
  • if you want to report a minor traffic collision
  • if you want to give the police information about crime in your area
  • if you want to speak to your local officers; orgeneral enquiries, like how to join the Special Constabulary or how to join Neighbourhood Watch.

The 0345 123 3333 number will remain as a way for people to contact Derbyshire Constabulary from overseas and deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can access the service via textphone on 18001 101.
Assistant Chief Constable Dee Collins said: “People should only call 999 in a real emergency, that is when a crime is happening, when someone suspected of a crime is nearby or where someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.
“For all other matters, such as reporting anti-social behaviour, making a general enquiry or contacting your local officers, 101 is the number you should dial.”
Between April 1 and September 30, Derbyshire police answered 462,423 calls. Of these, 70,520 were emergency calls and 391,903 were non-emergency calls.
For more information about 101, visit

Short website address for this page: