If you’re under Pension Credit qualifying age and living on a low income, you could benefit from Income Support.
What is Income Support?
Income Support is a benefit to help people on a low income. If you’re unable to work or don't work many hours, this benefit could help to top up your income.
How much money could I get from Income Support?
You could get up to:
- £73.10 a week if you’re single
- £114.85 a week if you’re a couple
But the amount you get may vary depending on your circumstances. For example you may get more money if you're disabled.
How could Income Support help me?
Am I eligible to claim Income Support?
You may be able to claim Income Support if you can say yes to all of the following:
- Are you below the age you can claim Pension Credit?
- Are you a carer, or a lone parent or grandparent looking after a child younger than 5?
- Are you on a low income?
- Do you have less than £16,000 in savings?
- Do you work fewer than 16 hours a week?
- If you have a partner, do they work fewer than 24 hours a week?
What counts as a low income?
When you apply for Income Support, your income, savings and circumstances will be taken into account. What counts as a low income will depend on your individual situation.
If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible, you could use our benefits calculator to find out:
How do I claim Income Support?
There are two ways to claim Income Support.
- By phone: Contact Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 or textphone 0800 023 4888.
- By post: You can you can fill out a claim form on GOV.UK. Print it out and post it to your local Jobcentre.
- You should receive a letter with a decision.
- If you don’t hear anything within two weeks, give the Department for Work and Pensions a ring on 0800 169 0310 or textphone 0800 169 0314 to find out what’s happening with your claim.
What to do next?
Download a claim form
Visit GOV UK to get hold of a form to claim Income Support
What money are you entitled to?
On average, our benefits calculator identifies an extra £250 per month for each person. How much money could you claim?
For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112