Meet up with friends and enjoy a freshly-cooked hot lunch.
Thursday 1st March 2018: Due to the snow we regret we have had to cancel all our lunch clubs, except Bellfounder House in Bradwell Village. We are unable to provide transport but our cook is providing lunch and activities for any club members who are able to make their own way to the club.
We run seven lunch clubs in the borough of Milton Keynes where older people can socialise and make friends. Most of the time you can join in a game of dominoes or cards, or perhaps even bingo or a sing-song. Some of our clubs have volunteers who play the guitar and others are able to run a seated-exercise session or tai chi. But there is no obligation to join in. If you would rather enjoy the meal and have a quiet sit with a cup of tea, that is fine by us.
- a hot meal, cooked from scratch on the premises - a main course and pudding, tea or coffee and biscuits
- our cooks listen to suggestions and will vary the menu according to what is popular. We try to use ingredients that are in season and to serve a dish that suits the time of year
How much does it cost?
- £7 lunch and activities in the sheltered housing scheme
- £13 lunch, activities and transport
- Most people pay the cook on the day, but we can make arrangements for a cheque to be paid to our office at The Peartree Centre. Sometimes family members like to pay for a relative to attend one of our lunch clubs. We will try to find an arrangement that suits everyone
- Our charges are set at a reasonable level to help towards our costs
Transport to the lunch club
Most lunch club members travel to the clubs by London Hire minibus but we also have a number of volunteer drivers who take people in their own cars. We can make arrangements for people who use wheelchairs and try to ensure that lack of transport does not prevent people from enjoying getting out of the house and enjoying a bit of company.
Please contact London Hire on 01908 262829 if you need to cancel their transport.
How many clubs can you join?
It is up to you, depending on availability, but we may not be able to provide transport. Please ring us for more details.
We do not provide personal care
As most of the lunch clubs run 10am to 1.30pm most people will need to visit the loo while they are at the club. We will do our best to help people who are less mobile but we are not able to provide personal care.
Find out more
Call us on 01908 557873.
Real people, but made anonymous for the internet
Mrs D and Mrs F say they wouldn’t see each other if they didn’t meet up at their lunch club every week. The freshly cooked meal is nice, but it is the companionship that means the most to them. “We have a proper conversation, and we have the same silly sense of humour.”
Widower Mr H says he has relatives living locally but friends are essential to a happy life. “I do look forward to going and I always enjoy the food”. Having transport to the club is vital. It means not having to rely on family to carry on a social life. “It gives me independence, which is what most people my age want”, says Mr H