We are not currently taking on any new gardening clients.
For existing clients only
We aim to provide general maintenance and can tackle other work, doing the work in the garden that suits you. Some of our clients like tidy pots, closely clipped hedges and roses that are dead-headed promptly. Other people just want the lawn mowed occasionally and the shrubs kept generally in order.
Who is it for
For people aged 60 and over*
How much does it cost?
- We charge £17 per hour with a minimum charge of £17.
- In certain circumstances we have to charge VAT which means the cost will be £20.40 per hour. *We are also able to provide a gardening service to people aged under 60 years.
- Before starting work in your garden we charge a one-off £10 registration fee which is payable at the first visit.
- We can also tackle larger jobs or projects, so please ask us to quote for any work you are considering. We can clear gardens or sheds and return your garden to whatever standard you require, be it occasional maintenance or a more formal garden. We do not normally put up fencing but we can usually tackle painting and repairs.
More about payments
- Most people pay in cash or by cheque at the time of the visit.
- We can also offer a yearly maintenance payment plan via standing order. We will come to an arrangement that suits you and your gardener.
- The number of hours gardening you can have depends on the size of your garden and how often you would like the service. Some people have just an hour a month, others choose to pay for a weekly service.
Keeping you safe
- All our gardeners are DBS (formerly CRB) checked. They are issued with personal ID cards which they carry with them at all times. Please ask to see their proof of identification - they will be happy to show it to you.
- You will be asked to complete several forms which will enable us to provide a quality service.
- If you are ever unsure about a member of our staff calling to visit you please ring 01908 550700 to check.
Please call us on 01908 550700 or send an email to email@example.com
Someone needs to be there
Your gardener will arrive within 15 minutes either side of your scheduled appointment.
Our gardeners are only able to carry out work at a property when another person is present, usually the householder. If you are not able to be present throughout the gardener's visit please arrange for someone else to be there in your place.
If you need to cancel an appointment please call us on 01908 557890 and we will let your gardener know.
We encourage clients to give at least 24 hours notice of any cancellations to enable the gardeners to rearrange their schedules. We reserve the right to withdraw the service if cancellations are unreasonable.
We realise that advance notice is not always possible but appreciate being informed as soon as you know.
If our gardener needs to cancel and appointment we will try to give you at least 24 hours notice of any cancellation by us, and will reschedule another appointment with you.
If the gardener is going to be absent for more than a few weeks we will do our best to arrange a temporary gardener.
Green bins, equipment, pesticides and lawn feeds
Our gardeners use their own transport so may not be able to take away garden waste. If they are able to provide this service they will need to make a charge for their time. They can also use the green bin or paper sacks provided by Milton Keynes Council or they can use part of your garden as a compost area.
All our equipment is regularly PAT (portable appliance testing) tested. Your gardener will not use any electrical equipment that belongs to you. This does not apply to hand tools.
Your gardener will need access to a 13 amp power point.
We can apply any product that will enhance your garden eg lawn feed, pesticides and composts, but we prefer not to use pesticides. If we use proprietary products they must be in their original container.
Pets in the garden
Please be considerate by clearing all pet mess from your garden before your gardener’s visit. Our gardeners are not permitted to clear pet mess.
For the safety of all parties we ask you to keep your pets under control and away from the area where the gardener is working. This is particularly important when they are operating machinery.
Worried about the garden of a relative?
If you don't live near enough or are unable to help an older relative, or relatives, look after their garden why not arrange for an Age UK Milton Keynes gardener to do it on your behalf. We have found a practical solution for many people who do not live in Milton Keynes but who wish to support an elderly parent, for example.
Our gardeners can visit on a regular basis, as arranged by you to suit the needs of the older person, and payment can be made by post or by standing order. Please ring us to discuss your requirements.
This service has been supported by
Real people, but made anonymous for the internet
Mr B had been a keen gardener but now had multiple health problems. His beautifully laid out garden was just untended. He thoroughly enjoyed our visits, working with us to get things looking as they had previously.
Our visits became an exchange of ideas about each area of the garden and the plants. He told us that before we came he kept his curtains drawn because he could not face the untidiness. After a couple of visits, he bought a patio set and often enjoyed a cup of tea sitting in the sunshine. And now Mr B sits outside chatting to the gardener as he works.
Mr J had become increasingly unable to cope with everyday life and his garden had become dangerous and a worry to him. It was also a local eyesore and a housing and an environmental health issue.
On our first visit it was obvious that for years nothing more than a cursory sweep by a lawn mower had ever been done at the front of the property, giving the impression that the home was neglected. Mr J said that was exactly how he felt.
The curtains were drawn and the back door and rear windows could not be opened. Virtually no light came into the rooms because of the plant growth. We spent a day, cutting, clearing and tidying, leaving the garden cleared with safe access to the rear gate and back lane. Mr J said before our work on his property it was like being in prison., now that was no longer true.